Tuesday 23 October 2012

Make it: Drop Cloth to Curtains | Goodsmiths

I recently?revamped our spare bedroom into?a room for our 14-month-old, since we are quickly expecting our second child in a couple weeks. Of course I was on a tight budget and needed to cut cost anywhere I could, but I wanted to?make it a cute-and-fun environment so my son would like to sleep there! I love the look of bold stripes on curtains and lamps ? but holy money bags they are expensive and hard to come by! Thankfully, one day I was watching The Nate Berkus Show, and he had an awesome demonstration on how to paint painter?s drop cloth and make them into curtains. I tried it, and they turned out fabulous! I couldn?t be happier. And as an added bonus, is there is NO SEWING involved in this project!

What you will need:

  • Painters drop cloth canvas
  • Painters tape
  • Paint brush, foam brush or small roller ? whatever you prefer
  • Paint
  • Tape measure/ ruler
  • Scissors
  • Curtain rod
  • Curtain hangers

I found the drop cloth canvas at Home Depot or Lowe?s, but it could be found at any home improvement store along?with painters tape, foam brush and paint. Drop cloths come in various sizes, mostly in white or off-white colors. Before going to the store, take ?measurements of your window?s height and width. Determine how long you want your curtains based on the measurements (I would suggest making the curtains floor-length), and make sure you purchase a canvas that covers the whole height.?Most curtains come in lengths of 63 or 84 inches, which I would say would be standard for what your window would measure.?For the paint,?I purchased a sample color for about $3 from Lowe?s to save money. It turned out to be the perfect amount.

First I washed the canvas and dried on a low heat. Once dry, I laid the canvas out flat and took a warm iron to get the kinks and curls out. Next, I measured and taped off my stripes, which?were two inches wide with four inches of white space. But you could create any size or design you like.

Once complete with measurements, start painting!?Be sure to have something laidout underneath the convas because the paint may bleed through, depending on the pressure you use when painting.?When the paint is dry, you can cut the canvas down the middle. It is best to do the cutting after you have painted the stripes or designs so they meet up properly when hung.

Lastly, hang the?finished product. I simply folded over the top a couple times to create a hem, and clipped on the hangers. You can find clip curtain hangers at Target or Walmart.?If you are worried about your cut edges fraying, you can purchase a product called ?no fray? at any store that sells fabric.

Voli?! Here is the finished product! I am so pleased with how the curtains look and was also impressed with the painters drop cloth. I think it could also make great table runners, table cloth, bed skirts, etc. What can you think of?

Source: http://blog.goodsmiths.com/2012/10/23/make-it-drop-cloth-to-curtains/

earthquake meteor shower daylight savings time 2012 bruno mars braxton miller braxton miller Whitney Heichel

No comments:

Post a Comment